Senior Care in Medford NJ
Independence is a concept that is meaningful throughout life. Even very young children start to look for ways that they are able to exert their independence and be more autonomous. As you get older, you find more ways to show your independence and these become even more important to you. This is how you show that you are an individual person who is capable of managing life decisions and tasks on your own. As a family caregiver it is important that you realize that this concept remains important for your elderly parent even as they are struggling with challenges, limitations, and needs that might make it more difficult or even impossible for them to handle everything on their own. Helping them to maintain their independence as much as possible is essential to supporting their quality of life and mental and emotional health as they age in place. While there are many ways that you can help them to feel independent and autonomous throughout their later years, one of the most meaningful and effective is starting senior care for them.
Some of the ways that hiring a senior home care services provider can help your parent to be more independent as they age in place include:
• Transportation. One of the most powerful exertions of independence that you have as you get older is your ability to get where you want and need to go, when you want and need to go there. As your parent ages, however, it is likely that they will lose their ability to drive safely. This means that they no longer feel as though they can get out of the house and manage their errands or social calendar in the way that they want to. A senior home care services provider can offer them safe and reliable transportation that means that they are able to stay as active and engaged as they want to without having to work around your schedule or wait for you to be available.
• Household tasks. Keeping their home neat, clean, and comfortable is not just important for your parent’s health, but also for their emotional and mental well-being. Taking care of their home helps them to feel like they are still an active and responsible adult, but some of the tasks associated with caring for a home can be challenging and even dangerous for your loved one. A care provider can help your parent identify the tasks that are difficult for them and offer recommendations for how to modify those tasks in a way that allows them to manage more on their own while staying safe and healthy. As for the ones that your loved one is unable to do on their own or even with modification, the care provider can handle them for your parent so that their home stays at its best at all times.
• Manage personal needs. Handling their own personal care is an important part of feeling independent. For many elderly adults, however, the challenges and limitations that they face make it too difficult for them to handle these tasks. A care provider, however, can offer support and assistance that enable them to manage tasks such as remembering when to take their medication, bathing regularly, and even preparing meals so that they can continue to feel in control of their life.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering starting senior care in Medford, NJ, please contact the caring staff at TLC Home Care Services today. Call (856) 234-8700 for more information.
- Unusual Ways Carbon Monoxide Poisonings Happen in Seniors - June 29, 2018
- What Are Some of the Best Ways to Respond to Caregiver Criticism? - June 22, 2018
- What Should You Pack in Your Bag When Hiking With Your Senior? - June 15, 2018