Many areas of the home are starting to get cool and if your aging parent lives in one of these areas, you are likely thinking of ways that you are going to help them to stay comfortable and warm throughout the fall and winter season. As a family caregiver, you want to make sure that your senior is warm, but you also want to keep them safe and protect their home from the potential of a devastating fire.
Use these tips to ensure that your parent’s home is heated comfortably and efficiently, but also safely throughout the cool weather months:
• Ensure that there is a three-foot space between any heating element and objects that can burn, such as curtains, furniture, other fabric, and paper.
• Never use your parent’s oven to warm their home. While this was once a common means of heating homes, it is very dangerous.
• Consider having a professional review your parent’s heating appliances, including their furnace or central climate control system, as well as their water heater, to make sure that they are up to code and in good condition. If they are not, have them safely replaced.
• Be sure their fireplace and chimney are inspected, cleaned, and repaired by a professional at least once a year.
• Be sure any space heaters used in the home are designed with an automatic shutoff so that they turn off if tipped over.
• Turn off any electric blankets, heating pads, space heaters, and other such systems off before leaving the home.
If you have been looking for ways to improve your parent’s quality of life as they age in place, now may be the ideal time for you to consider starting home care for them. An in-home senior care services provider can fill any care gaps that might exist in your care routine, ensuring that your aging parent gets all of the care, support, and assistance that they need to stay safe, healthy, comfortable, and happy throughout their later years. This can be exceptionally beneficial to your senior, but also to you as their family caregiver. If you have limitations or challenges that keep you from being able to fulfill all of your aging parent’s needs, you live at a distance and are not able to be with your parent as frequently as you would want to be, or your schedule is such that you feel that your parent’s needs are not being fulfilled effectively, this care provider can step in to ensure that their needs are handled in the way that is right for them. This will give you peace of mind that they can enjoy the best quality of life possible as they age in place.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering home care services in Mt. Laurel, NJ, please contact the caring staff at TLC Home Care Services today. Call (856) 234-8700 for more information.
- Unusual Ways Carbon Monoxide Poisonings Happen in Seniors - June 29, 2018
- What Are Some of the Best Ways to Respond to Caregiver Criticism? - June 22, 2018
- What Should You Pack in Your Bag When Hiking With Your Senior? - June 15, 2018